Wednesday 20 January 2010

Leaving the cold behind

Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving the now dismal grey British winter for some Saudi Arabian sunshine. Other than the dramatic temperature change, I have almost no idea what's waiting for me at the other end of my flight. The only other middle eastern country I've travelled to is Azerbaijan, a former Soviet state that has more in common with Russia than the strict Muslim countries at its borders. I don't think I've gone without alcohol for as long as four months since I was about 16, and while I'm sure abstinence will be good for my health the psychological effects of relentless sobriety remain to be seen. I know very little about the family I'll be living with or the kids that I'll be tutoring, other than the fact that they are wealthy beyond all reason and that they are Anglophile enough to hire me purely on the basis of my having an Oxford degree. My tutoring experience is negligible, and I'm going to be teaching subjects that I haven't studied myself since I was the children's age.

I'll be working for around four hours a day; the other twenty are mine to do with as I please, and will be the subject of this blog. As well as exploring my surroundings in Jeddah and chronicling the inevitable culture shock, I plan to read, listen to music, write some music and book reviews, and produce some music and art work of my own, which will eventually make it up here for your delectation.

To get things rolling here's a track I finished during the worst of the recent British snow - in tribute to its frosty origins I named it 'Energy Glacier'.



More to come in the next few days.

Identikit

2 comments:

  1. yeah this is excellent
    'big l be fuckin' with more G's than a janitor' though? What does that mean?
    can't wait to become a mime

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its actually fuckin with more keys than a janitor-- im not fully conversant with mid-90s new york hip hop slang but in my experience "key" has been used as a shortening for "kilogram" which i assume refers to some kind of illegal substance, most likely crack.

    ReplyDelete